Serves 4 to 5
- 1 Large natural raised chicken cut in eight
- 2 Cups white pearl onions, peeled
- 4 Tsp. vegetable oil
- 12 oz. white button mushrooms; halved
- 1 Leek, using the white part only, split, cleaned well, and cut into 1 inch sections
- 2 Cloves garlic; crushed
- Sea salt & white pepper to taste
- ½ Bottle of Riesling wine
- 2 Cups of chicken broth
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- Chopped flat leaf parsley to finish
- Your choice of grain or starch to put it on top of: Rice, spaetzle, gnocchi, pasta, etc. 1 bunch of organic red radishes
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
In a 450 degree oven, lightly brown the chicken pieces in 3 tsp. of the vegetable oil.
While browning the chicken, boil the pearl onions in water for 5 minutes in a sauce pan, drain, and set aside.
On medium heat in a le Creuset Dutch oven, sauté the mushrooms, pearl onions, and leeks. Make sure to not over-brown. Add white wine and reduce for 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and garlic; simmer for 10 more minutes. Stir in the cream and keep to a low simmer until completely mixed.
Add the browned, drained chicken pieces, thyme, garlic, and bay leaves.
Cook very slowly in a 325 degree oven until chicken is tender. Check seasoning to taste and serve in a platter, family style, over your starch or grain of choice.
Top with chopped parsley.
Fairly easy to make – this is a perfect rich dish for cold days. It can also be made in advance and reheated very easily.
PS: always try new recipes or culinary techniques once before creating an important dinner!!