Winter is the right time for shellfish, and this recipe should take you through the season deliciously!
Prep time: 30 minutes, cook time 10 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2-1 cup panko (for the crisp)
- 1/2 lb. unsalted European Butter, room temperature
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seas salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 teasoon Pernod
- 2 pounds small/medium New Zealand Green Lip Mussels (about 2-4 dozen)
(They come frozen on the half shell, if you can find them; pre-cooked.)
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Adjust the oven rack to the top position. Allow mussels to defrost, then cut the “foot” attaching them to the shell. Place a small dollop of butter inside (under) each of the mussels.
In a bowl, mix all the rest of the ingredients (including remaining butter), except the panko, until blended. Dollop the mixture onto each mussel. Sprinkle with panko for a crisping finish. The panko will absorb the butter from the mixture it is atop.
Bake the mussels just until the panko is crisp and brown, about 10 minutes.
Place mussles on a platter and serve while still warm.
PS: always try new recipes or culinary techniques once before creating an important dinner!!