‘Pissenlit’ means dandelion, and in France, springtime means Pissenlit. Drive through the French countryside and you’ll see all sorts of people harvesting dandelions for their dinner salad. This is a scrumptious, seasonal salad that is best after a good rain. Uh-huh, you pick this little known delicacy right off your neighbor’s grass (they will thank you) and make sure to clean it well! Dogs like it too.
Prep. Time : 15 min. (not including harvesting the dandelions)
Ingredients Needed to serve 4
- 4 large fresh picked fluffs or clean, young dandelions, including leaves and stalk (about 1.5 cups per person)
- 4 Thick slices of bacon (1 slice per person)
- 1/8 c Olive Oil for 4 servings
- 2 tsp Red wine vinegar
- Pinch of Cracked black pepper
- Sliced croutons
- 1/2 Shallot, finely chopped
Variation: You can use Balsamic Vinegar for a sweeter flavor.
Directions: Cube bacon into bite sized pieces. Sauté over medium heat until golden brown. Turn down to low and add in shallots, vinegar, olive oil, and pepper. Drizzle over greens, toss and serve immediately with croutons for garnish.
Additional garnishment ideas: a poached or sliced hardboiled egg, anchovies, or sliced apple or pear (with the balsamic option)