This classic version of gazpacho is healthy, easy to make and a wonderful mix of fresh spring ingredients. One taste of this chilled gazpacho and you will be instantly transported to a land of whitewashed walls, red-tiled roofs, and a golden sun…
Ingredients Needed to Serve 4
- 4 blanched, chopped tomatoes
- 2 Pureed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 each chopped red and green bell peppers
- 1 chopped cucumber
- 7 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of very cold water
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Small bunch chives or green onion ends for garnish
Preparation Time Necessary: about 30 minutes
In a large mortar, mash the cumin and garlic. In a bowl mix the onion, tomato, oil, the vinegar, pinch of the salt and the contents of the mortar, add the water and pulse the mixture in the food processor to your preferred texture.
I like to puree about ½ and then lightly chop the other ½ to keep some good chunkiness to it.
Add the rest of the salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until serving. Can be best when made a few hours or day ahead to meld flavors.
Top each bowl with chopped chives or green onion ends and serve with toasted baguette slices brushed with olive oil and garlic.